Crispy Idaho® Potato Truffle Chips
- 6 qt. Fresh Potato Chips, divided use
- 6 tsp Truffle Oil
- 12 oz Blue Cheese Sauce
- 6 oz Crumbled Blue Cheese
- 1 1/2 C Candied Pecans
Fresh Potato Chips – yield about 6 quarts
- 6.5 lbs Idaho® Russet Potatoes, scrubbed, not peeled
- Frying Oil (vegetable or canola)
- Kosher Salt
Blue Cheese Sauce - yield about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 T Butter
- 2 T All-Purpose Flour
- 8 oz Heavy Cream
- 4 oz Crumbled Blue Cheese
- Kosher Salt to taste
- White Pepper to taste
Candied Pecans - about 1 1/2 cups
- 2 C Pecan Halves, not toasted
- 1/2 C Granulated Sugar
- 2 T Butter
- Aged Balsamic Vinegar Syrup
- Fresh Sage, finely choppeda
Potato Chips (note: chips can be made 2-3 days ahead, or fried to order, keeping uncooked) potato slices submerged in water and refrigerated.
- Slice potatoes very thin, about 1/6-inch. Recommend a mandolin or food processor. Place potato slices in a large bowl and cover completely with cold water. Refrigerate for several hours until chilled, or up to 2 days.
- Heat frying oil to 350°F.
- Drain potato slices and lightly pat dry to remove most of the moisture.
- Fry in batches until golden brown and crisp. Drain well in fryer basket and turn out onto paper towel. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Cool. Repeat for desired amount of chips.
Blue Cheese Sauce
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in flour until fully absorbed and mixture starts to bubble.
- Gradually whisk in cream, stirring constantly until smooth and thickened, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in 1 cup crumbled blue cheese, salt and white pepper. Remove from heat. Rewarm gently just before serving.
- Combine pecans, sugar and butter in a skillet. Place over medium-high heat and stir frequently taking short pauses for sugar to melt, stirring until pecans are mostly coated. Mixture will be dry until sugar and butter melt.
- Immediately turn out onto a foil-lined pan. Cool. Coarsely chop.
Plating for 2-4 servings
- Place 4 cups of Potato Chips in a bowl. Drizzle with truffle oil and toss gently.
- Transfer half the potato chips to a serving plate.
- Drizzle potato chips with 2 tablespoons warm Blue Cheese Sauce.
- Top with remaining potato chips and another 2 tablespoons Blue Cheese Sauce.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese and 1/4 cup Candied Pecans. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Garnish with minced sage and a sage leaf.