Crispy Idaho® Potato Truffle Chips
- 6 quarts fresh potato chips, divided use, recipe below
- 6 teaspoons truffle oil
- 12 ounces blue cheese sauce, recipe below
- 6 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 1 1/2 cups candied pecans, recipe below
Fresh Potato Chips – yield about 6 quarts
- 6.5 pounds Idaho® russet potatoes, scrubbed, not peeled
- Frying oil (vegetable or canola)
- Kosher salt
Blue Cheese Sauce - yield about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces heavy cream
- 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- Kosher salt to taste
- White pepper to taste
Candied Pecans - about 1 1/2 cups
- 2 cups pecan halves, not toasted
- 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Aged balsamic vinegar syrup
- Fresh sage, finely chopped
Potato Chips (note: chips can be made 2-3 days ahead, or fried to order, keeping uncooked) potato slices submerged in water and refrigerated.
- Slice potatoes very thin, about 1/6-inch. Recommend a mandolin or food processor. Place potato slices in a large bowl and cover completely with cold water. Refrigerate for several hours until chilled, or up to 2 days.
- Heat frying oil to 350°F.
- Drain potato slices and lightly pat dry to remove most of the moisture.
- Fry in batches until golden brown and crisp. Drain well in fryer basket and turn out onto a paper towel. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Cool. Repeat for the desired amount of chips.
Blue Cheese Sauce
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in flour until fully absorbed and mixture starts to bubble.
- Gradually whisk in cream, stirring constantly until smooth and thickened, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in 1 cup crumbled blue cheese, salt, and white pepper. Remove from heat. Rewarm gently just before serving.
- Combine pecans, sugar, and butter in a skillet. Place over medium-high heat and stir frequently taking short pauses for sugar to melt, stirring until pecans are mostly coated. The mixture will be dry until sugar and butter melt.
- Immediately turn out onto a foil-lined pan. Cool. Coarsely chop.
Plating for 2-4 servings
- Place 4 cups of potato chips in a bowl. Drizzle with truffle oil and toss gently.
- Transfer half the potato chips to a serving plate.
- Drizzle potato chips with 2 tablespoons warm blue cheese sauce.
- Top with remaining potato chips and another 2 tablespoons blue cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese and 1/4 cup candied pecans. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Garnish with minced sage and a sage leaf.