Idaho Potato® Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup prepared Instant Mashed Idaho Potatoes, cold
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In a large bowl, cream together margarine or shortening and sugar. Add eggs one at a time; beat thoroughly after each addition. Stir in melted chocolate, vanilla and cold mashed potatoes. Mix well and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine sifted flour, baking soda and salt. Add this sifted dry mix to the batter alternately with the buttermilk. Blend well with each addition.
- Pour batter into greased and floured baking pans. If using two 9-inch pans, then bake for 20 minutes. If using one 13x9x2-inch flat pan, then bake for 45 minutes. If using one 9-inch tube pan, then bake for 1 hour.
- Variation: For Chocolate Spice Cake add 1 teaspoon cinnamon and allspice to sifted dry mix. One cup California Raisins and/or nutmeats may be added.
Yield: 12 servings
(Recipe Photo Contest Winner)