Potato Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup prepared mashed Idaho® potatoes, cold
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time; beat thoroughly after each addition.
- Stir in melted chocolate, vanilla, and cold mashed potatoes. Mix well and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine sifted flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add this sifted dry mix to the batter alternately with the buttermilk. Blend well with each addition.
- Pour batter into greased and floured baking pans. If using two 9-inch pans, then bake for 20 minutes. If using one 13x9x2-inch flat pan, then bake for 45 minutes. If using one 9-inch tube pan, then bake for 1 hour.
Variation: For Chocolate Spice Cake add 1 teaspoon cinnamon and allspice to the sifted dry mix.
One cup raisins and/or nuts can also be added.
Yield: 12 servings
(Recipe Photo Contest Winner)