Idaho® Potato Sloppy Joe Pie
You are going to love how easy this easy Sloppy Joe Mashed Potato Pie recipe is to make. This kid-friendly recipe makes a delicious healthy dinner.
View Sandi's entire post here along with step-by-step instructions.
Mashed Potato Pie Crust:
- 3 large Idaho® Russet Potatoes, peel removed
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ pounds of ground beef, or ground turkey
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup tomato puree
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos (or low sodium soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 300° F
- Chop the peeled Idaho® Russet Potatoes and add to a pot of water. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Cook the potatoes until soft.
- Add the beef, onion, and garlic to a pan. Cook until the meat is browned.
- Add all of the sauce ingredients to a bowl and whisk to blend. Pour onto the browned meat. Turn the temperature to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and place them into a mixing bowl. Add the cream, cheese, butter, and salt. Use an electric mixer to whip the mashed potato mixture until the potatoes are creamy.
- Spray olive oil (or non-stick spray) into a springform pan.
- Add the mashed potatoes. Push the potatoes up against the side about 3 inches high. Make sure the middle is indented so the meat mixture can go in.
- Pour the meat mixture on top of the mashed potatoes in the hollowed-out area.
- Put the springform pan into a metal baking dish to prevent any leakage. Bake for 25 minutes. The potato crust will puff slightly when done.
- Remove the sides of the springform pan.
- Allow to cool slightly, serve hot.