Cheesy Potato Broccoli Cakes
Shredded Idaho® potatoes combined with cheddar and broccoli are a tasty and easy make-ahead lunch.
See Cheryl's full post, including more photos, here.
- 8 ounces fresh broccoli (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 2½ pounds Idaho® Russet potatoes, washed (4 or 5 medium)
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 4 tablespoons oil/butter/ghee
- Shred broccoli in food processor and place in medium/large bowl.
- Add panko, baking powder, salt, pepper, granulated garlic and granulated onion to broccoli. Toss to combine and set aside.
- Grate potatoes on the largest holes of a box grater and place in a bowl of cold water. Rinse the potatoes, drain the water and rinse once more with clean water.
- Lay the shredded potatoes on a clean kitchen towel to drain, then wrap up and squeeze any remaining water out of the potatoes.
- Add shredded potatoes, shredded cheddar and whisked eggs to the breadcrumb mixture.
- Toss to thoroughly combine the mixture, making sure to break up any clumps of potato.
- Heat 1–2 tablespoons of oil in a medium frypan over medium heat.
- Scoop 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) of the mixture and drop into the pan. Lightly flatten and cook for 5 – 6 minutes per side.
- Remove from pan to a paper towel-lined baking sheet.
- Repeat until the mixture is gone, adding remaining oil to the pan as needed.