Idaho® Potato Scotch "Eggs"
- 10 small Golden Idaho® potatoes (egg-sized), washed, boiled or steamed in skin and cooled (use salted water)
- 1 1/2 lbs breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- sunflower oil (or similar oil) for frying
- Place some breakfast sausage into the palm of your hand, pressing into a flat shape. Next, place a potato in the center of the sausage, and wrap the meat around the potato to cover it completely, forming it into an egg-shape.
- Roll the Scotch potato "egg" in flour, beaten egg, and breadcrumbs, then set aside on a tray. Repeat steps 1 and 2 with the rest of the potatoes.
- Place oil in a deep-fryer, or heavy pot, and heat over medium high heat. When oil is hot, add the Scotch Potato "Eggs" carefully, with a metal skimmer or similar tool, a few at a time, turning often until golden brown in color and the sausage is completely cooked.
- Remove from oil, and place on a paper-towel lined plate. Continue to fry the remaining Scotch Potato "Eggs." Let cool slightly and serve for breakfast, brunch or as a snack or side-dish.
- Time Saving Tip: These may be cooked ahead of time, then refrigerated, and re-heated in a 375°F oven for 15 minutes when ready to serve.