Idaho® Potato Pastrami Pierogi with Mustard Brown Vinaigrette
- Pierogi Dough:
- 1.5 cups organic all-purpose flour
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1/2 large beaten egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup water
- Pierogi Filling:
- 1/4 pound Pastrami, finely chopped
- 2 large Idaho® Potatoes, peeled, cooked and passed through a ricer when cool
- 1 large organic egg
- 1/4 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper mixed together
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Brown Butter Mustard Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) of butter
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons good quality whole-grain mustard
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely minced
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Combine dry and wet ingredients in a bowl. Mix until dough comes together.
- On a floured work surface knead dough until elastic and dough takes on a shiny appearance. (Approximately 10 minutes).
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix ingredients, cover and refrigerate until use.
- In a small, heavy bottomed sauce pan, cook butter until brown, not black. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl place other ingredients and whisk in brown butter until fully incorporated.
- Keep warm until serving.
- Use remainder of 1/2 beaten egg from Pierogi dough.
- On a floured surface roll out dough to ¼-inch thickness and cut out 3-inch circles.
- Brush the inside of the circles to edges with the remaining beaten egg.
- Spoon a tablespoon of the meat mixture into each circle. Press sides together keeping filling inside, so you end up with a half-moon “purse.”
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, place pierogies gently into boiling water and cook until they float. Gently remove them from the water and allow them to drain and cool.
- Fry in a medium-heat frying pan in a little butter until golden brown. Place on a plate, spoon over vinaigrette and serve immediately.
Yield: 25 pierogies