Idaho® Potato Muffins With Smoked Salmon, Chives and Sour Cream
This elegant "muffin" preparation is easy to prepare, not to mention healthy and great tasting.
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 2 large Idaho® potatoes, scrubbed and cut into narrow, matchstick-like pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 2 ounces good quality smoked salmon, diced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1/4 cup non-fat sour cream
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly spray the cups of a 6-cup muffin pan with cooking spray; refrigerate pan.
- Add salt to a large saucepan of water; bring to boil over medium-high heat. While waiting for water to boil, sauté onion in olive oil in a medium nonstick skillet until lightly browned and softened. Transfer onion to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Add matchstick potato pieces to the boiling, salted water and cook 3 - 4 minutes. Strain off the water and add potatoes to the bowl with the onions. Cool potatoes and onions to room temperature.
- To the cooled mixture, add olive oil, thyme, smoked salmon and black pepper to taste; mix thoroughly.
- Using clean hands, shape potato mixture into 6 equal portions; press each portion into a muffin cup. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove the muffins from the pan and top with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of chives.
Yield: 6 servings
Sodium: 210 mg
Fat: 10 g
Protein: 4 g
Cholesterol: 15 mg