Idaho® Potato Galette
Frozen puff pastry is used as the free-form crust for this savory French-style pancake that features Idaho® Yukon Gold or Dutch Yellow potatoes for their buttery flavor and moist texture.
- 5 medium Idaho® Yukon Gold or Dutch Yellow potatoes, peeled
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely diced
- 8 thyme sprigs, picked and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 (10 x 8-inch) sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 tablespoons crème fraîche
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Using a mandoline, slice the potatoes into 1/8-inch-thick slices.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss potatoes with the salt, then place in a colander to drain for about 30 minutes. (It is important to eliminate any excess moisture, as it will make the pastry soggy during cooking.)
- In a large bowl, combine the potato slices with onion, thyme and butter.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and lay one sheet of pastry down on top of it. Spread the potato mixture evenly across it, leaving a 1-inch border on all sides. (You will think that you have too much potato, but the mixture will lose volume during cooking.)
- Brush the border with egg wash and stretch the other sheet of pastry over. Using a fork, press down and crimp the edges all the way around to prevent separation. Score the pastry crust in a diamond pattern. Trim a little of the excess pastry for aesthetic purposes. Generously brush the top with egg wash. Poke a small hole in the center of the pastry, which will ensure that the pastry will rise evenly.
- Refrigerate the dish for 20 minutes before baking to harden the pastry.
- Bake in the oven until golden brown on the outside, about 1 hour. Test potatoes for doneness by inserting a small paring knife into the galette. If there is no resistance, the potatoes are done. If there is any sign of resistance, lower the oven temperature to 300˚F and cook longer, testing frequently, another 15 minutes.
- When done, carefully transfer the galette to a large serving platter. Carve off a lid all the way around, peeling it back and exposing the potatoes underneath. Spoon the crème fraîche evenly over the potatoes. Reposition the lid back on top. Serve immediately, slicing at the table.