Idaho® Potato And Spanish Chorizo Rolls
- 2 large Idaho® potatoes, peeled
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ¼ cup Spanish manchego cheese, grated
- 2 cups Spanish chorizo, chopped
- ½ cup yellow onion, small dice
- 1 Roma tomato, small diced
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Boil potatoes in salted water until extra tender.
- Mash them until obtaining a soft puree with no chunks.
- Add olive oil and mix until well combined. Use an electric mixture if needed.
- Add 1 cup of the manchego cheese and mix well. Set aside
- For the filling cook chorizo in a skillet over medium heat until it starts to release its oils.
- Add onions and cook with chorizo until onions become translucent.
- Incorporate tomatoes, vinegar, and garlic powder.
- Turn up heat to medium-high and toss chorizo mixture together until most of the liquid has evaporated. If too much liquid is released by the tomatoes just take some out with a spoon. You want a juicy but not runny filling.
- Once your filling is ready, it is time to assemble the Idaho® potato roll.
- Cut a large piece of plastic wrap and lay it on a flat surface.
- Place your mashed potatoes on one side of the plastic wrap and distribute it with your hand or a rolling pin so you get a sheet of mashed potatoes, almost like a pie dough. Make sure the result is rectangular in shape.
- Distribute the chorizo filling vertically in one of the sides of the mashed potato sheet.
- Wrap around the mashed potato sheet by lifting up and to the sides the plastic wrap.
- Keep rolling to resemble a Swiss roll.
- Once you are done rolling to the side, tuck in the ends of the Idaho® potato roll.
- Transfer it to an oven safe dish and sprinkle the top with remaining manchego cheese.
- Bake on a 400° F oven until roll is heated up and cheese melts and gets golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve warm.