"I Love Idaho® Potatoes" Tempeh Hash with Veggies
- 2 large Idaho® potatoes, cubed
- 8 ounces of tempeh, cubed
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground sage (or ½ teaspoon rubbed sage)
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups chopped kale (purple or green)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup vegetable broth or water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Put the potatoes in a large saucepan. Cover them with water to about an inch above the potatoes. Bring to a boil over high heat. Once it begins to boil turn the heat down to medium and cook until the potatoes are easily pierced by a fork, about 10 minutes. They should be almost ready to eat, but not mushy. Drain in a strainer and set aside.
- Mix all the glaze ingredients into a large mixing bowl and toss the tempeh in it until each piece is coated. Set aside for later.
- Now you'll prepare the vegetable mixture. First heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Once it's hot add in the onions and sauté until they're translucent.
- Add the garlic and bell peppers and cook until the peppers begin to get soft.
- Stir in the kale, carrots, broth, soy sauce, maple syrup, marjoram, glazed tempeh and potatoes. Cook another 10 minutes until everything is heated thoroughly.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste and serve.
Yield: 4 servings