Heart-Healthy Idaho® Potato and Chicken Skewers
Lemon-garlic flavored chicken and "red, white and blue" potatoes are skewered and then tossed on the grill for ten minutes tops.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (squeezed from one lemon)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest (from one lemon)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast, cut into 1 ½-inch chunks
- 4 gourmet "baby" Idaho® grown blue potatoes
- 4 gourmet "baby" Idaho® grown white potatoes
- 4 gourmet "baby" Idaho® grown red potatoes
- 4 or 5 (12-inch) wooden skewers (soaked in water for at least 1 hour), or metal skewers
- In a medium mixing bowl, using a whisk, combine the oil, lemon juice and lemon zest, garlic, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Measure out 1/3 cup of the dressing mixture and set it aside. Add the chicken pieces to the bowl with the remaining dressing and toss well to coat them with dressing; set aside. (Chicken can be marinated in the refrigerator up to 1 day in advance of serving.)
- Wash the potatoes and place them in a microwave-safe bowl. Add 3 tablespoons water to the bowl and cover. Microwave on high for 5-7 minutes, until tender. While the potatoes are cooking, pre-heat the grill to medium-high.
- Assemble the skewers: thread 3 pieces of marinated chicken onto each skewer. Follow that with a red, then a white, then a blue pre-cooked potato. Finish each skewer with 3 more pieces of chicken. Repeat with the remaining 3 skewers and ingredients. (If there is leftover chicken, thread it all onto an extra skewer.)
- Place skewers onto the grill. Close the grill and cook until chicken has distinct grill marks, about 5-6 minutes. Turn the skewers and continue to cook and rotate them at 3-4-minute intervals until the chicken is cooked through (about 10 minutes total grilling time). To serve, place skewers onto a plate and drizzle with reserved dressing. To serve, place skewers onto a plate and drizzle with reserved dressing.