Harvest Idaho® Hash
From Chef Cooper's cookbook, LUNCH LESSONS: Changing the Way We Feed Our Children, HarperCollins, 2006; by permission of the author.
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup onions, medium dice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1-1/4 cups rutabaga, large dice
- 1-1/4 cups red potatoes, large dice
- 1-1/4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut in large dice
- 1-1/4 cups parsnips, peeled and cut in large dice
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
- 4 tablespoons vegetable stock
- In a large pan with a cover, sauté garlic and onions in butter and oil until onions are lightly browned.
- Add rutabaga, red potatoes, butternut squash and parsnips and sauté for five minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, nutmeg and fresh sage and stir to combine. Add stock and mix well. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve.