Easter Egg Idaho® Potatoes
- 8 small Idaho® potatoes (about 4 - 5 ounces)
- Shortening (optional)
- 1/2 cup light dairy sour cream or plain yogurt
- 2 ounces Gouda cheese, shredded (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 - 2 tablespoons milk (optional)
- 2 hard cooked eggs, peeled and coarsely chopped
- Fresh chives, cut to desired length
- Diced fresh tomatoes to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Scrub potatoes with a brush; pat dry. Prick potatoes in 2 or 3 places with a fork. (If desired, for softer skins, rub potatoes with shortening or wrap in foil to “steam”.)
- Place potatoes in a shallow baking pan. Bake potatoes, uncovered, for 40 to 50 or until tender. Remove from oven; cool slightly for easier handling.
- Cut a thin crosswise slice off both ends of each baked potato. Carefully scoop pulp from each potato leaving a 3/4 inch shell. Add pulp to bowl; set shells aside.
- Mash the potato pulp. Stir in sour cream or yogurt, cheese, snipped chives, mustard, salt, and pepper. (If necessary, add 1 to 2 tablespoons milk to achieve desired consistency.) Stir in hard-cooked eggs. Carefully spoon potato mixture into shells. Stand the potato "eggs" upright in a 2 quart rectangular or square baking dish.
- Bake potatoes, uncovered, in 425°F oven for about 20 minutes or until heated through and tops are set. Garnish with fresh chives (or other fresh herbs).
Make ahead tip: Prepare potatoes through step 4, then chill. Reheat with ham at 325°F for 45-50 minutes.
Sodium: 266 mg
Fat: 5 g
Fiber: 1 g
Cholesterol: 64 mg