Crisp Confit of Baby Octopus, Housemade Hot Sauce, Warm Potato Salad
• 2 pounds tenderized baby octopus
• ½ gallon extra-virgin olive oil
INGREDIENTS: HOT SAUCE
• 1 cup white distilled vinegar
• 1 cup cherry peppers, stemmed
• ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
• ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
• ¼ teaspoon salt
INGREDIENTS: POTATO SALAD
• 3 cups Idaho® Fingerling Potatoes, small dice
• ½ cup Spanish onion, small dice
• ½ cup aïoli
• ¼ cup carrot, small dice
• ¼ cup celery, small dice
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• Fresh parsley or chives, chopped, as needed for garnish
- Clean the octopus as needed.
- In a large saucepan, poach the octopus in the olive oil on low heat for 2 to 3 hours, until tender.
DIRECTIONS: HOT SAUCE
- Bring the vinegar to a boil, then pour over the peppers.
- Weigh the peppers down and leave covered for at least an hour.
- Drain the peppers, reserving the vinegar.
- Put the peppers and half the reserved vinegar in a blender and blend until smooth.
- With the blender running, stream the olive oil in slowly, then add the xanthan gum and salt.
DIRECTIONS: POTATO SALAD
- Cook the diced potatoes in boiling water until tender.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients except salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked, drained potatoes to the mixture while they’re still hot; stir to combine and season to taste.
- Sear the poached octopus in a black steel pan or a cast-iron pan over high heat until charred and crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Toss the octopus in the hot sauce.
- Plate over the warm potato salad, using about 1 cup octopus and ½ cup potato salad per portion.
- Garnish with parsley or chives.