Chicken Pot Shepherd’s Pie
Fusing two classic dishes, chicken pot pie and shepherd’s pie, to make a new family favorite meal.
See Laura's entire post here.
- 2 1/2 lbs Idaho® potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cup milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil, divided
- 1 chicken breast, diced (approximately 1 lb)
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 tsp ground thyme
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- In a medium sized pot add potatoes and 1/2 tsp salt. Cover potatoes with water. Bring to boil and continue cooking until potatoes are fork tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Once cooked, drain water and return pot full of cooked potatoes to the stove. Add butter, salt, pepper and 1 cup milk. Using a hand masher, mash potatoes until all ingredients are incorporated and mashed potatoes are smooth. Set potatoes aside.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a large 10-inch cast iron skillet or oven-safe pan, over medium high heat add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add chicken breast pieces and cook until evenly browned.
- Add chopped onions and cook until softened, approximately 5-7 minutes. Stir in carrots, celery and peas and cook for 5 more minutes. Season with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil and flour to the vegetables and stir until flour is incorporated. Stir in chicken broth and 1/2 cup milk and cook until mixture is thick. Remove from heat.
- Gently spread mashed potatoes evenly over the chicken mixture until fully covered. Bake in the oven until bubbly and golden, 20-30 minutes.
Note: If you do not have a large oven-safe pan, cook everything as directed above. Then transfer chicken mixture to an oven-safe casserole dish, top with potatoes, and bake.