Chicken Fried Idaho® Potatoes with Smoked Potato Remoulade
- 3-4 large Idaho® russet potatoes
- 1 quart chicken stock, smoked in smoker
- 1 tablespoon thyme, freshly chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1.5 pounds Idaho® fingerling potatoes
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup hearts of celery, minced
- 1/3 cup cauliflower, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
- 2 sprigs whole green onion, minced
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Creole mustard (or a grain of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar, smoked in smoker
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Peel and cut Idaho® Russet potatoes into 3/8 in. slices (two slices per person). Lay sliced potatoes in a casserole dish and cover with seasoned chicken stock.
- Bake until cooked enough to run a knife through.
- Cool on counter and then refrigerate, covered in stock, overnight.
- Remove potatoes from stock and pat dry. Bread potatoes by dipping in flour mix (flour, salt, pepper, baking powder, baking soda) and then buttermilk with Tabasco and back in flour, double breading for an extra crispy crust. Fry in 1/2 in. vegetable oil until golden brown. They can be finished or rewarmed in oven.
- Place stock on stove and simmer on low. Add thyme and sage and reduce adding salt and pepper as needed. Make a slurry of 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water and add to stock to thicken. Simmer 3 more minutes. Hold warm till serve.
- To make remoulade: Smoke water or chicken stock in a smoker or on your stovetop. Peel fingerling potatoes (or leave skin on) and cut to a very small dice. Place in smoke water overnight. Strain. Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan and add potatoes and watch carefully. Cook till tender (but still holding their shape), strain and cool immediately.
- In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk, celery, cauliflower, pickle relish, capers, green onion, parsley, Creole mustard, smoked vinegar, curry powder, Tabasco, celery salt and black pepper. Stir in smoked potatoes.
- To serve: Put two potatoes on plate and add some of the chicken gravy, top with remoulade. Dish is great with a little side green salad.