Apple Cheddar Potato Chewy Granola Bars
A cheddar cheese topping gives these granola bars immediate kid appeal. However, adults will love them, too, with their winning flavor combination of Idaho® potato, apple, and cheddar. Unlike traditional granola bars, these bars are baked twice (like biscotti) to crisp up their edges.
This is also a great recipe if you're wondering what to do what that little bit of leftover mashed potatoes.
- 1 medium-sized Idaho® potato
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup roughly chopped pecans
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Place the potato in a small saucepan on high heat. Add enough cold water to cover the top of the potato.
- Once the water boils, reduce heat to medium low and cover. Cook the potato in lightly boiling water until tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Drain the water.
- Once the potato is cool enough to touch, peel the skin off. It should come off easily.
- Mash the potato with a potato masher or in a food processor.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Stir together ¾ cup of the mashed potato (use the rest however you wish), applesauce, butter, brown sugar, rolled oats, and pecans in a large bowl until the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Press the mixture into an 8” square pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the oats on top are crispy.
- Remove from the oven and evenly distribute shredded cheese over the pan. Return to the oven for another five minutes. The cheese should be evenly melted.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Remove the uncut bars from the pan and cut into 12 bars.
- Place the bars on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake for another 25 minutes or until the sides of the bars crisp up.
- Eat immediately or store loosely covered for up to three days.