Spicy Thai Idaho® Potato Salad
- For the dressing:
- 3/4 cup Natural style peanut butter
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp Soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 2 tsp Chili oil
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- For the salad:
- 1 cup Green beans, cut into 1/4-inch long pieces (about 4 ounce of beans)
- 2 Small carrots, peeled and chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 Small red bell pepper, cut into thin strips about 1-inch long (1/2 cup)
- 2 1/2 - 3 lbs. Idaho potatoes (5 large or 8-9 medium)
- Shredded napa cabbage for serving (optional)
- Chopped peanuts and cilantro for garnish (optional)
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the dressing ingredients; set aside.
- Over high heat, bring a large pot of water (salted with 1 tablespoon coarse salt, if desired) to a boil. Place the beans and carrots in a metal strainer that will fit into the pot of boiling water. Lower the strainer (with the vegetables) into the water and let them cook for 2-3 minutes. Turn off the heat. Using a towel to hold the handle, remove the strainer, rinse the vegetables thoroughly with very cold water, then drain well. Leave the pot of water on the stove.
- Transfer the vegetables to a large mixing bowl. Add the peanut dressing and the red pepper pieces; stir to combine.
- Add a little more hot water to the pot on the stove and turn the heat to high. While waiting for the water to boil, peel the potatoes and cut them into 1/2-inch thick slices lengthwise, then cut them in 1/4-inch thick slices lengthwise from the other side. Finally, cut potatoes crosswise into thirds, making little sticks, Add the potatoes to the boiling water, cover loosely and cook for 8-9 minutes, until a knife can pierce the potatoes easily, but are still firm. Drain potatoes and add them to the bowl with the other ingredients. Using a wooden spoon, stir to coat all ingredients with the dressing.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. For a nice presentation, place the potato salad on top of shredded napa cabbage and garnish with chopped peanuts and cilantro, if desired.