Idaho® Potato Chili
- 1 pound Idaho Potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 8 ounces ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes with juices
- 1 16-ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup non-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions or chopped tomato
- Over medium-high heat, heat oil in 3-quart saucepan. Add onions, green pepper and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, stir occasionally or until softened.
- Add ground turkey. Cook for an additional 5 to 6 minutes, breaking up with back of spoon, until no longer pink.
- Stir in chili powder. Cook for 1 minute. Add canned tomatoes, 1 cup water, potatoes, kidney beans and salt.
- Bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Stir in chopped cilantro. Serve topped with yogurt/sour cream topping and sliced scallions or chopped tomato.
Yield: Serves 4 - 6 (7 cups)
Sodium: 770 mg
Fat: 8 g
Protein: 18 g
Cholesterol: 39 mg
(Recipe Photo Contest Winner)