Step-by-step instructions for making your own hashed browns with Idaho® potatoes, and forming them into small muffin bowls to hold creamy, cheesy scrambled eggs, poutine style.
Hash Browns Cups Ingredients:
- 4 medium Idaho® russet potatoes
- Salt and ground pepper
- Cooking spray
Avocado Egg Scramble with Cheese Curd Ingredients:
- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ yellow onion, minced
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons crème fraîche (optional)
- ½ avocado, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup cheese curds
- ¾ cup baby kale leaves (or spinach)
Hash Browns Cup Directions:
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Bake the potatoes until tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Cool until easily handled, peel and coarsely grate. I use the largest openings on my grater for this. Season with salt and pepper, and lightly fluff. This can all be done the night before.
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F. Spray a 12-muffin pan with cooking spray. Scoop 4 - 5 tablespoons of grated potato (1/4 cup or a little more) into each muffin cup. Gently press down the sides and bottom to create a nest, making sure the sides of the hash browns reach all the way to the top of each cup, since they will shrink down a bit when baked. Lightly spray again with cooking spray, and bake for 20 – 25 minutes. They should be a deep golden brown along the tops, and the sides will curve gently away from the pan. Be careful they don’t burn. Lift out onto a serving platter using your fingers or a fork. If you use a fork, gently reach it in under the hash browns cups and lift them up from their bottoms.
- Fill them with the Avocado Egg Scramble with Cheese Curds – (directions below).
- Serve immediately.
Avocado Egg Scramble Directions:
- Melt the butter in a medium sauté pan over medium heat, and sauté the minced onion until completely softened.
- Whisk together the eggs and crème fraîche, and add to the pan. When the eggs are half-way scrambled but still fairly loose, add the avocado and cheese curds. Continue to cook, scrambling them with a rubber spatula. When they’re almost done, add the baby kale and cook for 30 seconds longer, tossing to wilt the kale.