Gruyere Scalloped Idaho® Potatoes
- a knob of butter for buttering gratin dish
- 1½ pounds of washed and thinly sliced Idaho® Yukon® Gold Potatoes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup cream (or milk if you want something lighter)
- 2 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
- 2-3 tablespoons of fresh thyme, more if it pleases
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a medium sized shallow dish with the knob of butter.
- While the oven warms, slice the potatoes with a mandoline so that they are just thicker than wafer thin, and arrange them along the bottom of the dish, laying them flat along the edge and working your way towards the center of the dish. Sprinkle with thyme, Gruyere, salt and pepper, and then repeat the layer process until you reach the top of your dish.
- Once the dish is full, slowly pour over the cream, using the back of a large spoon to press down the layers so that the cream just touches the base of the top layer. Top with the last bit of cheese and herbs, and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for an hour or until the edges are crispy and the potatoes are tender to the fork.