Grilled Veal Loin Medallions with Mushroom and Idaho® Potato Galette and Calvados Veal Reduction
- 7 Tbsp Clarified butter
- 1/2 lb Porcini mushrooms, cleaned & sliced
- 1/2 lb Morel mushrooms, cleaned & sliced
- 3 Large Idaho potatoes, peeled, finely julienned, covered with cold water
- 2 Tbsp Red bell pepper, fine dice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup Chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup Grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 4 (4-oz) Veal loin medallions
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Veal Reduction
- 3/4 cup Clarified butter
- 3 Shallots, chopped
- 1/4 cup Calvados
- 1 Sprig fresh thyme
- 3 cups Reduced veal stock
- 3 Tbsp Unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups Mixed baby vegetables (snow peas, haricots verts, carrots, pearl onions), blanched
- 6-8 Chives, minced
- 1 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- Melt 3 Tablespoons of clarified butter in large non-stick sauté pan over medium heat and add mushrooms.
- Cook until mushrooms have softened and browned slightly, 3-4 minutes, shaking pan occasionally.
- Remove from heat, set mushrooms aside but reserve pan. Drain A of potatoes, and spread in pan.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper, and sauté for 3 minutes, or until lightly browned on bottom. Do not stir potatoes as they cook.
- Flip galette and add a Tablespoon of butter, spreading around edges. Brown second side.
- Slip out of pan onto sheet pan and repeat three times to make 4 galettes total.
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Place one galette on wire rack. Reserve 3/4 of mushrooms. Top with 3/4 of remaining mushrooms, then sprinkle with A green onions, 3/4 cheese. Layer three more times, ending with cheese. Bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool slightly.
- Heat grill or grill pan over high heat. Season medallions with salt and pepper. Place medallions on grill and sear 45 seconds to 1 minute, until one set of grill marks is seared onto medallions.
- Lift medallions and rotate 90º, grill again 30 to 45 seconds to set criss-crossing grill marks. Flip and grill second side 1 minute. Move to cooler part of grill and cook 1 to 2 minutes more, depending on thickness of medallions and personal preference.
- Reserve and keep warm. Veal can also be finished in 375ºF oven.
- Heat clarified butter in medium sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add shallots and cook until translucent or just starting to brown.
- Add Calvados and deglaze pan, scraping up bits that have stuck to bottom.
- Add thyme and cook until pan is almost dry. Add veal stock and reduce by one third, until slightly thickened.
- Whisk in butter until sauce is smooth. Strain through fine sieve and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Melt butter in medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add blanched baby vegetables and cook 2 to 3 minutes, until heated through.
- Cut galette into 8 pieces with sharp serrated knife*. Place one slice galette at 2 o'clock position on each plate.
- Place sautéed baby vegetables at 7 o'clock. Overlap two veal medallions at 5 o'clock. Drizzle reduction around entire plate.
- Garnish with reserved mushrooms and fresh chives. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil.
- Note: This recipe uses only 4 pieces of galette. Use remaining galette for another meal.