- Mix the cold water and apple cider vinegar in a large bowl or pot.
- Using a mandoline, cut the potatoes about 1/16-inch thick. Submerge the slices in the cold water and vinegar for 1 hour.
- Drain the potato slices well and pat dry with a paper towel. Divide into 4 batches.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep fryer or heavy bottomed pot until it reaches 335°F.
- Add one batch of potato slices to the oil and cook, stirring from time to time until the potato slices are evenly browned, 10-12 minutes.
- Carefully remove the chips from the oil using a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. While hot, sprinkle with sea salt and Calabrian licorice powder.
- Repeat with the remaining potato slices, making sure to return the oil to 335°F between batches.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
*Calabrian licorice powder (or licorice) can be found at specialty stores or online. Whole licorice must be crushed to a powder.