I’m definitely a tot guy. I like them better than fries because they’re delicious and more versatile. This dish combines my love of shawarma and my love of tots — making this recipe is the best of both worlds.
Potato Tots (processed or housemade)
- 4 pounds boneless leg of lamb
- 1-¼ tablespoons cumin
- 1-¼ tablespoons coriander
- 1-¼ tablespoons garlic powder
- ¾ tablespoon paprika
- 1-¼ teaspoons turmeric powder
- ¾ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- salt, to taste
Cucumber Tomato Salad Ingredients
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- ⅓ cup parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup coriander
- 1 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- 3 jalapeños, seeded and roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- feta cheese
- For the lamb: Combine spices. Butterfly the leg of lamb, and generously coat with spice rub. Grill over mesquite charcoal, turning frequently, until the meat thermometer reading reaches 140°F at the thickest part. Let rest 10 minutes, then carve into thin slices.
- For the cucumber tomato salad: combine all ingredients.
- For the zhoug: combine all ingredients.
- For the tots: Once toppings are prepared, fry or bake the potato tots. To serve, pile them high and top them with the lamb, salad and zhoug. Garnish with feta, tahini and parsley.