Thai Larb With Crispy Potatoes
- 1 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2” cubes
- 1 lbs Idaho® potatoes
- 4 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1 ½ teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- 1 habanero (Or Thai chili pepper), stemmed, seeded and minced
- 1 handful fresh basil, chopped
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 head fresh bibb lettuce
- Arrange chicken in a single layer on a baking sheet and allow to firm up in the freezer while you prep the potatoes.
- Grate the potatoes with a box grater. Scoop a handful into a clean kitchen towel and squeeze to remove excess liquid. Repeat. Arrange the now dry potatoes in an even thin layer on a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat the process with the remaining shredded potatoes.
- Meanwhile, heat 3 tablespoons canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; Swirl to coat the pan. When the oil is shimmering, microwave the potatoes a minute to jump start the cook process. Carefully arrange thin layers of the potatoes in the hot oil, pressing with a spatula; Allow to brown without touching 2 to 3 minutes. When golden, flip and cook another 2 to 3 minutes, until golden and crispy. Remove from pan and set onto a fresh paper towel lined plate.
- When the potatoes are almost done, pull the chicken from the freezer. It should be firm, but not frozen. Place it in a food processor and pulse until the chicken is minced.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining oil. Cook the chicken 5 minutes, stirring as needed to just begin to brown all over.
- Stir the fish sauce, lime juice, and water together and add to the pan and cook another 4 to 5 minutes until most of the liquid has cooked off.
- Add the shallot, lime zest, and chopped pepper, stirring to combine. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Lastly, add the basil and cilantro, remove from heat, and toss to combine. Crumble the thin crispy potatoes over the chicken mixture and stir, working in batches until you’ve folded all of the potatoes in.
- Arrange the chicken mixture in a big bowl with a serving spoon with the bibb lettuce all around. Spoon heaping portions of the chicken filling into the lettuce, using as a shell and enjoy