Potato-Bacon Sausage Ingredients:
- 5 pounds Idaho® red potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 pound uncooked bacon, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 cup fresh fennel, diced
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fennel fronds, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons Aleppo pepper
- 1 ¼ pounds ground pork
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 egg yolks
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup Idaho® potato buds
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon milk powder
- as needed ham bones for making stock
- as needed chopped vegetables for making stock
- fresh tomato slices for serving
- homemade potato chips for serving
Celery-Mustard Relish Ingredients:
- 1 bunch celery with light green leaves (about 1 1/2 cups), small dice
- 1 green onion, small dice
- ½ red jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Creole mustard
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Pickled Mustard Seeds (see below)
Pickled Mustard Seeds Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
- ¼ cup rice vinegar or cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt
Potato-Bacon Sausage Directions:
- In a stockpot, add cold water and diced potatoes. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook for 10 minutes. Potatoes should still be firm and undercooked. Remove from heat and pour off water, reserving ½ cup liquid. Cool potatoes and potato water.
- In a large mixing bowl, add partially cooked potatoes, bacon, fennel, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, coriander, mustard seed, thyme, tarragon, fennel fronds and Aleppo pepper. Toss to incorporate spices. Run mixture through a meat grinder fitted with a small grinding plate.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, combine potato-bacon mixture with ground pork, Dijon mustard, egg yolks, flour, potato buds, cream, reserved potato water and milk powder. Mix on low for 2 minutes, until mixture is bound well.
- Place sausage mix into sausage stuffer and pump into 50-mm pork sausage casings.
- To cook sausages, in a stockpot over medium heat, make a homemade ham stock made from ham bones and simmered vegetables. Remove fat and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower heat to medium-high and slowly drop sausages into broth. Simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from liquid and allow to cool before serving. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Sausages will be very soft, like boudin.
- Rinse off ham gel and pat dry sausages before sautéing. In a sauté pan over medium heat, brown sausages on all sides.
- Slice into pieces on the diagonal to serve. Serve with celery-mustard relish and fresh sliced tomatoes and house-made potato chips.
Celery-Mustard Relish Directions:
- Mix together celery, onion, jalapeño, mustard, oil, vinegar and pickled mustard seeds in a bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Pickled Mustard Seeds Directions:
- In a small sauté pan over low heat, simmer all ingredients for 5 to 10 minutes. Cool and refrigerate until ready to use.