- 1 pound Braised Beef Brisket pieces (recipe follows)
- 2 cups Reduction Sauce (recipe follows)
- Jo-Jo’s (recipe follows)
- 2 cups Ballard’s Farm cheese curds
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley (optional)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives (optional)
Braised Beef Brisket and Reduction Sauce Ingredients:
(Yield: approx. 1 pound Brisket and 3 cups Reduction Sauce)
- 2-2 ½ pounds well-marbled beef brisket
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 – 750ml bottle Idaho red wine
- 1 quart beef stock
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1 parsley sprig
- 1 tablespoon + ½ cup oil
- ½ cup flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 large Idaho® Russet potatoes (14-16 ounces each), steamed whole until tender
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons Herbs de Provence
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoons ground black pepper
- oil for deep frying
Braised Beef Brisket Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously season the beef brisket with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the brisket and sear until dark brown on both sides. Transfer brisket to a large braising pot. Add vegetables, stock, wine, and herbs. Cover, place in the oven, and cook for 3 hours.
- When the brisket has cooked for 3 hours, remove from oven and check for tenderness. The meat should shred easily. Remove brisket and cover with foil. Set aside.
Reduction Sauce Directions:
- Strain the braising liquid and discard the vegetables and herbs. Pour the liquid back into the braising pot and skim any fat. Bring the liquid to a simmer and reduce by ¼ .
- Meanwhile, make a roux. Combine remaining ½ cup oil and ½ cup flour in a small pot. Whisk together over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, until mixture is light brown.
- Add the roux to the reduced braising liquid, whisking to combine. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Sauce will thicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut/shred the brisket into medium size pieces and add to the sauce. Keep warm.
- Heat fry oil to 350°F. Mix the flour, cornstarch, Herbs de Provence, salt and pepper together.
- Cut the steamed potatoes into 1/8” strips lengthwise. Dredge the potatoes in the flour mixture.
- Fry the potatoes for 2-3 minutes until golden and crispy.
- Place the potatoes onto a large platter. Top with the reserved brisket pieces and about 2 cups of the reduction sauce. Add the cheese curds and the chopped herbs. Serve immediately.