- 4 medium Idaho® russet potatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon garam masala, or other Indian curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Vegetable Curry Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or other mild oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala (or other Indian curry blend)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (or 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced carrots (cut into half moons if very wide)
- 1 cup water, use more as needed
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- Reserved potato that you scooped out of the cooked potatoes, chopped
- 2 cups chopped rainbow chard (or other green like kale, spinach or collards)
- Salt, to taste
Simple Cucumber Cilantro Raita Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup unsweetened plain soy yogurt (or plain yogurt of your choice)
- 2 tablespoons grated cucumber
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- Salt, to taste
- Chopped cashews
- Chopped cilantro
- Chopped Scallions
- Preheat the oven to 425° F and prepare 2 baking sheets by covering with parchment paper.
- Rub both sides of the potato halves with olive oil, place cut side down on the baking sheet. Then sprinkle the skin side with garam masala and salt.
- Place in oven for 30 to 45 minutes, or until you can easily pierce the cut side with a fork.
- Once the potatoes are cool enough to touch, gently scoop out the middle. I like to score the cut side with a knife first and leave a “bowl lip” of potato and a layer of white potato on the inside so it’s a sturdy bowl.
Make the spring vegetable curry:
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized pan with a lid, like a Dutch oven, over medium heat. Once hot add the garam masala, cumin seeds, turmeric, mustard powder, and cinnamon. Saute until the spices become fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the ginger, garlic, and red bell pepper and saute another minute.
- Add in carrots and water, cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until the carrots start to get tender.
- Remove the lid and add the zucchini and potato. If it starts to stick to the pan, add another ½ cup water.
- Once the zucchini is tender stir in the chopped rainbow chard.
- Remove from heat and salt to taste.
Make the raita:
- Stir the yogurt, cucumber, and cilantro together and salt to taste.