Idaho® Potato Chicken and Pork Filled Papas Rellenas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, small dice (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 pounds Idaho® potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- oil for frying
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the shallot, stirring, cook 2-3 minutes, until softened.
- Stir in the red pepper and garlic, cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add the ground chicken and pork, smoked paprika, cumin and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Stirring occasionally, brown the meat. Remove from the skillet, place into a small bowl and refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes until tender.
- Drain the potatoes well, then mash.
- Stir in the milk and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Let the potatoes cool.
- When ready to assemble the papas, place the egg and bread crumbs into separate shallow dishes.
- Take 1/3 cup of mashed potatoes and form into a ball. Make a large indentation and place 1 tablespoon of meat into the potato. Carefully seal the meat into the potato, and form into a ball again. Repeat with the remaining potatoes and meat.
- Roll each ball in the egg, then in the bread crumbs, making sure to coat the entire potato ball.
- Place the potato balls into the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours.
- When ready to fry, pour enough oil into a large, deep pan to cover the potato balls about half way up. Heat the oil to about 350º F.
- Fry the potato balls a few at a time, turning as needed until they are golden brown. Drain the potato balls on a layer of paper towels.
Time Saving Tip
- Make the papas the night before. Chill them overnight and fry them when you are ready to serve them.