- 2-1/2 pounds (about 12) Roma tomatoes, cored
- 2 pounds white onions, peeled and halved
- 1/4 pound Hatch green chilis (use less for milder chile)
- 2 Jalapeño peppers, halved, seeds removed
- 2 pounds boneless pork loin, cut in 1/2" cubes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5-6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon Ancho chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt, or to taste
Pico de Gallo Ingredients
- 2 cups diced Roma tomatoes
- 1 cup dice red onion
- ½ cup seeded and diced Jalapeño peppers
- ¼ cup roughly chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch Kosher salt
Flour Tortilla Strips Ingredients
- 4 – 10" flour tortillas
- 2 cups vegetable oil or as needed
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt or to taste
9 Idaho Potato Tots (1 Serving)
Oil for Frying
Colorado Chile Verde Directions:
- Grill tomatoes, onions, Hatch chilis and jalapenos over open flame, turning until lightly charred. Cool. Dice into 1/4-inch pieces. Set aside.
- In a large pot, brown pork in oil. Remove and set aside. Reduce heat to low; melt butter then add garlic, and cook 1 minute. Stir in flour and cook until golden brown with a nutty aroma. Add water and stir to make a lightly thickened sauce.
- Add vegetables and pork. Stir in paprika, chili powders, cumin and salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat and simmer partially covered about 1 hour, stirring frequently to prevent sticking on bottom of pan. Cook to desired thickness and consistency. Taste and adjust season as desired.
Pico de Gallo Directions
- Stir all ingredients in a bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Tortilla Strips Directions
- Heat oil in a large pot to 350˚F, or us deep fryer.
- Cut tortillas in half then 1/4-inch wide julienne strips.
- Fry strips in small batches until a light golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel. Salt lightly.
To Plate One Serving
- 9 Idaho Potato Tots
- Oil for frying
- 1 cup Colorado Chile Verde
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup shredded Muenster cheese
- 1 tablespoon Pico de Gallo
- Tortilla Strips
- Fry tots in 350˚F oil until golden brown, or bake as package directs.
- Remove from oil and place in serving dish.
- Pour Colorado Chile Verde over tots. Top with cheeses, 1-2 tablespoons Pico de Gallo and about 1/2 cup crispy tortilla strips. Serve warm.