Want a fun spin on a fried snack food? These potato-filled taquitos use up leftover mashed potatoes wrapped in corn tortillas and air fried for that crunch! Don't have an air fryer? No worries! We have oven directions too.
For the Taquitos:
For the Crema:
- ½ cup sour cream, or crema
- Juice from ½ lime
- 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Hot sauce, optional
- ¼ cup cooked bacon, crumbled
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
Air Fryer Directions:
- Moisten enough paper towels to wrap around tortillas. Working in batches of 4, heat the tortillas, wrapped in the barely damp paper towels in the microwave until pliable. Keep them wrapped as you work to prevent them from drying out and becoming brittle.
- Sprinkle a little cheese in the center of each tortilla.
- With a piping bag, or by hand, spread a layer of potatoes down the center of each tortilla, no thicker than ½”.
- Carefully roll up the tortilla and brush with oil. Place in the air fryer basket. Repeat with the next 3 and place all in the basket, seam side down, not touching one another.
- Set the air fryer to 390°F and cook for 7 minutes, until tortillas are crispy.
Some potato and cheese filling will fall out. Carefully wipe out the excess filling and repeat until all taquitos are made.
To Oven Bake: No air fryer no problem.
- To make this recipe in a traditional oven, follow the instructions for filling and rolling the tortillas. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the taquitos about an inch apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the taquitos are crispy, potato filling is hot all the way through and cheese is melted.
To Make the Crema:
- Stir the sour cream, lime juice and cilantro in a small bowl.
- If you want a little spice, add a dash or two of hot sauce.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.