Spiky Idaho® Potato Shrimp with Aïoli
Yield: 8 appetizer servings
Idaho® Potato Aïoli
- 1 5-ounce Idaho® Yukon Gold potato, peeled, rinsed, cut in 1/2-in. cubes
- 8 cloves garlic
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 cups extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Fine sea salt to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- 6 to 8 drops fresh lemon juice
Spiky Idaho® Potato Shrimp
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Madras curry powder
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups Idaho® Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, julienned with smallest blade of mandoline
- 16 large shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 4 to 6 cups canola oil, for deep-frying
- 4 cups mizuna or arugula
- Steam potato cubes until tender; cool. Place cubes in small food processor. Using microplane, grate garlic directly into processor.
- Add egg yolks and enough olive oil to allow blade to turn; process mixture until smooth. With machine running, slowly drizzle in remaining oil. Stop to scrape down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Season aïoli to taste with salt, cayenne and lemon juice. If necessary, thin with 1 tablespoon water. Refrigerate until needed or up to 1 day.
For Spiky Potato Shrimp:
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Crack egg into shallow bowl; whisk until blended. Season with salt, pepper, and curry powder.
- Place flour in second shallow bowl and julienned potato in third shallow bowl.
- Pat shrimp dry. One at a time, dip shrimp in flour until well coated, patting off excess. Dip shrimp into egg, coating completely, and then into julienned potato, pressing firmly so potato adheres to shrimp. Arrange shrimp on prepared baking sheet.
- To cook shrimp, line separate large baking sheet with paper towels. In medium pot, heat 3 inches oil over medium-high heat to 325°F. Using bamboo skewer, pierce each shrimp and dip into oil until potato is blond and crispy. Transfer to towel-lined baking sheet. (Shrimp can be prepared several hours ahead, then warmed on towel-lined sheet pan in preheated 325°F oven for 5 minutes.) Season with salt to taste.
- Per portion: Mound 1/2 cup mizuna in center of appetizer plate; top with teaspoon of aïoli. Arrange 2 shrimp on top of aïoli. Serve immediately, with additional aïoli on the side.