- Place the diced potatoes in a microwave-proof casserole dish with a lid, cover and cook on HIGH for 5 minutes, stirring once during the cooking time. While potatoes are still hot, toss with apple cider vinegar. Set aside to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, roast the Hatch chilies by blistering them on a very hot skillet or by holding them over a gas flame with tongs until they are fairly blackened (but not totally). Place still hot in a plastic bag, set aside to cool completely. Once cool, peel off the blackened skin, slice open, remove seeds and cut into ½ inch pieces.
- In a large bowl, toss together cooked potatoes, diced chilies, apples and ham. Stir gently.
- To make the dressing, in a small jar with a tight fitting lid, shake together mayonnaise, sugar, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper. Pour over potato mixture and toss gently to coat. Refrigerate.
- Serve as-is or atop baby salad greens.
For a picnic for two, use disposable take-out containers with tight lids, put a handful of greens on the bottom of each, and then split the chopped salad between the two containers. Top with lid and refrigerate until ready to pack and go.