- 3/4 pound large sea scallops
- 1 large Idaho® potato, peeled
- 2 oz clarified butter
- Ginger-Citrus Beurre Blanc Sauce (recipe below)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ginger-Citrus Beurre Blanc
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons grapefruit juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 shallots, peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and trimmed
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 4 threads saffron
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brunoise of red pepper
- Minced chives
- Orange and grapefruit slices
- Season the scallops
- Shred the potatoes and season with salt and pepper. (To avoid browning, this should be done at cooking time and not before.)
- Heat the clarified butter in a Teflon pan over medium-high heat. Just when the butter starts to smoke, place about 1/2 of the shredded potatoes in the pan, covering the bottom with about a 1/2" layer. Reduce heat to medium.
- Press the potatoes down to form a pancake. When edges get slightly brown, flip potato over and brown. When other side is brown, return to the first side and place scallops in the middle. Cover with remaining potato shreds. Flip over and cook until brown and crispy.
- To serve: Pour the sauce on a separate plate and place scallop "pancake" in the middle of the pool of sauce. Garnish with brunoise of red pepper and minced chives and with orange and grapefruit sections.
Ginger- Citrus Beurre Blac Directions
- In a non-reactive saute pan, combine all sauce ingredients except butter and reduce slowly until there is about 1/4 cup of liquid left.
- Whisk in the butter 1 cube at a time over low heat. season to taste with salt and pepper. The sauce should be kept warm but not too hot or it can seperate.