Russet Idaho® Potato Spanish Tortilla
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1 Spanish onion, peel and thinly sliced
- 3 large Russet Idaho® potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- 8 large eggs
- ¼ cup of whole milk
- ¼ cup of grated cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon of white granulated sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350° F.
- In a skillet or frying pan, melt the butter on medium heat, and then add the onions and a pinch of salt. Cook covered for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and translucent. Then turn up the heat, and add the sugar, stirring until caramelized. Once golden brown, transfer them to a bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs, milk and paprika, then gently whisk them together.
- In a medium sized ovenproof nonstick skillet, layer the bottom of the skillet with Russet Idaho® potatoes slices, and then top with a small enough egg mixture to cover the layer; repeating until you have reached the middle of the skillet. Then add the cheese and onions to the layering until you reach the top of the skillet. Using the back of a spoon, gently press down on top of the top layer to create a level surface.
- Cover the skillet and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the eggs are set and potatoes are tender.
- Once the eggs are set, uncover and bake for a further 10 minutes to give it a crispy finish.
- Once done, remove from the oven and allow it to rest for 5 minutes before inverting it onto a serving plate. Serve hot or at room temperature.