- 1 pound fresh yellowfin tuna or sushi grade tuna filet
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 10 pieces fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoons Asian sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons tuxedo sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons sriracha sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
Idaho® Potato Waffle
- 2 pounds Idaho® Yukon Gold potatoes, finely julienned
- 2 small French grey shallots, finely julienned
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Olive oil spray for the waffle iron
- 6 Tablespoons crème fraiche
- Hackleback sturgeon caviar, as needed
- For the Tuna Tartare: Dice the tuna into ¼-inch cubes and place in a bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, chives, sesame oil and seeds, ginger, honey, sriracha, and lime juice.
- Gently fold in the tuna and divide in 6 portions.
- For the Idaho Potato Waffle: Preheat a Belgian waffle iron.
- Combine the potatoes and shallots, then wrap the mixture in a dish towel and squeeze out the excess liquid.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, shallots, salt, pepper, egg, and flour until evenly mixed.
- Spray the waffle iron with the olive oil spray.
- Spoon 1/6 of the potato mixture into the preheated waffle iron, close, and cook until golden and crisp on the outside, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove the waffle to a wire rack and repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve each waffle garnished with a portion of tuna tartare, 1 Tablespoon crème fraiche, and a quenelle of caviar.
This recipe should give you about 6 small waffles total, if you use a Belgian waffle maker.