Potato Pancakes Vonnas with Smoked Salmon and (Osetra) Caviar
- 3 large Idaho potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons potato starch or corn starch
- 2 whole eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup craime fraiche or sour cream
- 6 large slices smoked salmon
- 1 4-oz jar Osetra caviar (optional)
- Dill sprigs for garnish
- To yield 1/2 lb. of Idaho potato puree, cook 3 large, peeled and diced potatoes in salted water. Then cooked thoroughly, pass potatoes through a food mill or sieve with fine holes.
- Place puree in electric mixer with a paddle attachment; add potato starch to mix thoroughly. Slowly incorporate eggs, then heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir the lemon juice into the craime fraiche; set aside.
- Preheat non-stick skillet over medium heat. Spoon the pancake mixture into the skillet, keeping a round shape (silver dollar size). Cook for 90 seconds then turn and cook until done.
- To serve, place pancakes on plate and serve with one slice of smoked salmon, one tablespoon of the reserved craime fraiche mixture and a heaping teaspoon of caviar. Garnish with dill and serve.