Potato Pan Dulce Braid
- ¼ ounce packet rapid rise yeast
- ⅓ cup warm water at 110° F
- 1 cup warm milk at 110° F
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup mashed potatoes, cold
- 5 ½ cups unbleached flour
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon powdered cinnamon
- candy sprinkles in various bright colors
- candy sprinkles in various pastel colors
- Pour yeast, warm water, and warm milk into a mixing bowl. Let mixture stand for 10 minutes without interruption.
- Mix on lowest setting until combined.
- Add sugar, eggs, butter, and mashed potatoes. Mix to combine.
- Switch mixing attachment to a bread hook.
- Add flour, one cup at a time, and mix on low speed.
- The mixture will be slightly sticky. Add additional flour until you can manage the dough with minimum stick.
- In a well-greased bowl add dough and allow to rise in a place with low ventilation. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in the oven over night.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Divide dough into 3 sections and roll each section into a long, thick rope. On a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, braid the three sections of dough.
- Tuck the ends under braid to seal.
- Brush dough with melted butter.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon, then sprinkle one strand with cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Decorate the next strand with different sprinkles, and so forth.
- Bake bread for 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes, slice and serve.