Potato Cakes with Cheese
- 5 lbs Idaho potatoes, peeled
- 2 lbs 8 oz Onions, peeled
- 5 Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Ground nutmeg
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 7 oz Flour, divided
- 1 lb 4 oz Swiss cheese, shredded
- Vegetable oil as needed
- 2 1/2 oz Melted butter
- 40 oz Warm milk
- 3 dashes Hot pepper sauce
- 1 medium Sweet onion, finely diced.
- 3/4 tsp Worcester sauce
- 12 oz Monterey Jack pepper cheese, diced.
- Grind potatoes and onions through a medium grinder key. Add eggs and spices; mix thoroughly. Gradually add 5 ounces flour; blend thoroughly. Add Cheddar and Swiss; combine. Place 1/2 cup potato mixture in lightly oiled skillet or griddle. Sauté until golden on both sides. For sauce, combine remaining 2 1/2 ounces flour and butter in saucepan.
- Cook over low heat until bubbly; do not brown. Add warm milk, stirring rapidly. Stir in pepper sauce, onion, and Worcestershire. Remove from heat. Add pepper cheese; stir until melted. Season to taste. For service, plate 3 cakes. Top with sauce.