Lobster and Idaho® Potato Nicoise Salad
- 1 ½ pounds spring mix greens, washed
- ¾ pounds haricot vert
- 32 pitted nicoise or oil cured olives, sliced in half
- 1 ½ pounds Idaho® small red potatoes
- 32 cherry tomatoes
- Anchovies (optional)
- Basil vinaigrette (see separate recipe)
- 16 oz fresh picked lobster meat (see separate recipe)
- 4 hardboiled eggs, quartered
- 2 tablespoon capers
- Basil Oil
- 2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch basil (6 stems)
- Basil Vinaigrettee
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoon salt
- 1 ounce sherry vinegar
- 4 ounce fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups basil oil
- ½ tablespoon finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Steamed Lobster
- 3 1 ½ pounds live lobsters
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion, peeled
- 3 to 4 carrots
- Begin one day in advance, preparing basil oil, basil vinaigrette, steamed lobster and boiled eggs.
- Wash and dry potatoes, peel slightly, a stripe or two of peel alternating with a strip of skin. Boil until cooked, but still firm. 10-15 minutes. Cut in quarters while warm. Place in plastic bag with 1/3 cup basil vinaigrette and let sit while assembling the rest of the salad.
- Mix picked lobster with 1/3 cup basil vinaigrette in a plastic bag for 30 minutes.
- Clean and steam haricot vert in ½ inch water until al dente. Immerse in an ice water bath to stop cooking
- Toss greens in ½ cup basil vinaigrette – mixed well and divide equally on 4 plates
- Divide lobster into four equal portions and place gently in the center of each plate of greens
- Divide haricot vert, cherry tomatoes, olives, Idaho® red potatoes, capers and boiled eggs into 4 equal portions and arrange decoratively around each portion of lobster on each plate. Add anchovies if desired.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons additional dressing over each bowl. Serve.
- Wash basil and immerse in oil overnight.
- Remove Basil Stems from Oil and discard
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl well with a whisk except oil
- Add oil slowly while whisking.
- Add 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- In a large pot bring four inches of water to a rolling boil.
- Add 2 bay leaves, onion, and carrots to the pot. Boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the lobsters, cover, bring back to a rolling boil, and boil for and keep at a rolling boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lobsters and let them rest.
- Pick the cooled lobsters. Roughly chop the tails and any large claws.