Idaho® Potato Carne Asada Fries
- 1 pound Idaho® potatoes, peeled and cut into thin fries
- vegetable oil for frying
- 2 pounds flap steak (carne asada) or skirt steak
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoons granulated onion
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 ½ cups Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup guacamole
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup sliced pickled jalapeños, optional
- ¼ cup crumbled queso fresco (Mexican fresh cheese), optional
- Heat a large pot (Dutch oven will work great here) over medium-high heat. Fill it a little bit less than half of the way up with vegetable oil. Attach a deep fryer thermometer and heat the oil to about 350° F.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into thin fries. Immediately place the fries into a bowl of cold water to prevent them from turning brown and to rinse away the excess starch. Drain the potatoes and dry them thoroughly with a clean kitchen towel. Make sure they’re completely dry; you don’t want any moisture in the oil.
- Fry the potatoes in batches until light golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir with a slotted spoon and transfer to a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Continue frying the rest of the fries. Heat the oil to 375° F and fry the potatoes a second time (in batches as well) until deep golden brown and crispy, about 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer back to wire rack and sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Heat an outdoor grill or a stovetop grill pan over medium-high heat until hot. In a large bowl combine the flap steak with the salt, pepper, granulated garlic, onion, paprika, oregano and Worcestershire sauce. Mix until evenly seasoned. Cook the meat until charred on both sides, about 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and allow to rest for a few minutes before chopping.
- To assemble the fries, arrange the fried potatoes on an oven-safe platter, baking sheet, or individual ramekins. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and place in a 350 degree F oven for about 5 minutes to melt the cheese. Top with chopped carne asada, sour cream, guacamole, tomatoes, pickled jalapeños, cilantro and queso fresco, if desired. Serve right away.