Idaho® Potato Arancini
- 4 large Idaho® potatoes
- 1 pound sweet Sicilian sausage, browned (recipe follows or already prepared mild Italian sausage may be substituted)
- 1/2 cup fresh peas (blanched) or frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup pecorino cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup parsley, chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cups olive oil
- 1 bunch baby arugula, washed
- Bake the potatoes at 400° F until they can be easily pierced with a fork (about 1 hour).
- Remove the potatoes from oven and let them cool enough to handle. Peel the potatoes then force the pulp through a ricer or food mill into a non-reactive bowl.
- Add 1 egg, salt and nutmeg, and mix. In another non-reactive bowl mix the sausage, pecorino cheese, peas and parsley.
- To form the Arancini, moisten your hands in tepid water, then take 1/4 cup of the potato mixture and flatten it into a cup shape in the palm of your hand.
- Spoon a generous tablespoon of the sausage mixture into the center then fold the outer edge of potato over the filling completely enclosing it, to prevent the filling from leaking out. You may need a little more potato to accomplish this.
- Shape into a perfect ball, about 2" in diameter, and continue to make 8 more Arancini in the same manner.
- Place flour and bread crumbs each in two separate bowls. Lightly beat remaining eggs in a third bowl. Thoroughly coat each Arancini ball in these three steps: first with the flour, then with the eggs and finally, the bread crumbs.
- Put the Arancini on a tray sprinkled with bread crumbs and refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour. Heat a heavy bottom deep sided skillet containing 4-5 inches of Olive Oil, until the oil is hot (340° F) but not smoking. Gently lower 6 Arancini into the oil with a slotted spoon and cook them until they are golden brown, making sure to roll them often to insure even cooking.
- Drain the Arancini on paper towels. Cook the remaining Arancini in the same manner. Garnish with arugula and serve.