Idaho® Potato and Spinach Gnocchi
- 3/4 cup spinach, cooked and pureed
- 2 large Idaho® potatoes
- 2 tablespoons cows milk ricotta cheese
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- Sauce for Gnocchi:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped shallots
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- ½ pound jumbo lump crab meat
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- Wash the spinach well and place in a pot of boiling water for 1 minute. Drain off water and dry spinach well. Place in a blender with a tablespoon of water and puree until very smooth. Set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F. Peel the potatoes and cut into 2 inch thick pieces. Place potatoes in a pot of cold water and bring to a boil. Boil potatoes for approximately 25 minutes or until tender. Drain off water and place cooked potatoes on a baking dish in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- While potatoes are hot, pass them through a ricer into a mixing bowl. Mix all remaining gnocchi ingredients together and work the dough until it comes together.
- Place dough on the counter and begin rolling with your hands until it is shaped into 1/2 inch logs. Cut into 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch squares. Using a well floured gnocchi board, roll the dough along the board until it has ridges along one side and a concave back side. Lay out the gnocchi on a baking tray dusted with flour.
- Cook in salted boiling water just until they float. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and cook until softened, but not browned. Add the chicken stock and butter and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the gnocchi and simmer for another minute. Add crab meat, tomatoes and pine nuts and continue cooking just until hot.
- Place in a bowl and enjoy.