Red Wine Braised Short Ribs
- 3 pounds beef short ribs, boneless
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 3/4 cup carrot, diced
- 3/4 cup celery, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 32-48 oz beef stock, lightly salted
- 3 thyme sprigs
- Rosemary sprig
- Bay leaf
Idaho® Potato Hash
- 2 1/2 pounds Idaho® russet potatoes, unpeeled, scrubbed, cut in ½-inch cubes
- 3 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano
- 6 cups (1-1/2 pounds) braised short ribs, shredded (recipe above)
- 3 cups braised short ribs cooking liquid
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 24 Eggs (2 per serving), cooked over easy
- Sour cream
- Giardiniera (pickled vegetables)
Directions for Short Ribs:
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper. Sear in a 5-6 quart-size lightly oiled oven-proof pan; remove ribs from pan.
- Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic; cook stirring frequently 3-5 minutes until vegetable are softened. Add tomato paste and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Add red wine; bring to a simmer and cook until slightly reduced.
- Return ribs to pan. Add beef stock to cover the ribs. Cover pan and bake 2 to 2 1/2 hours until ribs are tender. Turn ribs half-way through cooking time. If liquid has reduced to less than half, add additional stock.
- Remove ribs from liquid. Strain and press liquid through a large-hole sieve, pressing most of the solids through the sieve. Measure liquid and add additional stock if needed to make about 3 cups.
- Shred short rib meat. There should be about 6 cups (1-1/2 pounds)
Directions for Potato Hash:
- Lightly coat a large non-stick skillet with cooking oil. Place over medium heat; add cubed potatoes, bell pepper, onion, garlic, and herbs. Cook stirring frequently until potatoes are cooked al dente, about 15 minutes.
- Add shredded short rib meat and cooking liquid to potatoes and vegetables. Simmer over medium heat until liquid is absorbed and potatoes are just tender. Potatoes should remain in cubes.
- Serve portions of hash topped with two eggs. Garnish with sour cream and giardiniera.