Homemade Idaho® Potato Cheesy Potato Tots
- 2 pounds Idaho® potatoes, peeled
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1½ cups cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup all purpose flour (for dredging)
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Place the potatoes in a pot and cover fill with cold water until it covers the potatoes by 1 inch. Bring the water to a boil and cook for 7-8 minutes. The potatoes will just be partially cooked at this point. Drain the water and cool completely.
- Using a box grater, shred the potatoes.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, flour, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, cheese, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Form the potatoes into tots using a about a tablespoon of the mixture for each one. The mixture will be fairly sticky at this point. Form each tot and place it on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Place the sheet in the freezer for approximately 30 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and form the tots into a harder ball. Roll each tot in the all purpose flour and place it back on the parchment.
- In a large skillet, heat approximately 1 inch of vegetable oil to about 375° F
- Add the tots to the skillet, about 5-7 at a time and cook until evenly browned and crispy, about 4 minutes.
- Serve immediately.