Holiday Idaho® Potato Casserole with Papayas and Pineapple
- Dried Fruit Mixture
- 1/2 cup dried papayas, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1/2 cup dried pineapples, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1/2 cup California Raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 lbs Idaho® Russet potatoes, scrubbed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups dried fruit mix
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
Dried Fruit Mixture
- Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container.
- Preheat the oven to 300°. Use an 8 by 8-inch baking dish or one of similar size, and butter the bottom and sides with I Thsp butter. Wash the potatoes and thinly slice them, using a mandolin, to approximately 1/16-inch thick. If slicing by hand make slices paper-thin.
- Layer 1/5 of the sliced potatoes into the baking dish, making two thin layers of potatoes overlapping.
- Sprinkle with 2 tsp of the Parmesan cheese. Top with 1/2 cup fruit, salt, pepper, and 1/2 cup cream.
- Repeat this step 4 more times, ending with the potatoes. Top the potatoes with the remaining cream and the 3 Thsp of the butter cut into small pieces. Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for two hours. Uncover the pan and bake for an additional 15 minutes to lightly brown the top. For darker brown, place the potatoes under the broiler for a few minutes. Remove the potatoes from the oven and let them sit for 15 minutes before serving. Cut potatoes into squares with sharp knife.