Herbed Idaho® Potato Parfaits
- 2 pounds Idaho® gold potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- ½ cup half-and-half
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 cups fresh soft green herbs, e.g. basil, parsley, dill, chives, garlic chives, cilantro
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup white wine
- Garnish: cooked crumbled bacon or cubed pancetta, crushed potato chips
- Put the potatoes and 1 teaspoon salt in a pot with water to cover. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat, and simmer uncovered until the potatoes are very tender, about 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes, then return them to the hot pot for a few minutes so some of the excess moisture evaporates.
- Chop the herbs finely (this is easiest in a food processor).
- Add the half-and-half and 4 tablespoons butter to the hot potatoes. Mash with a potato masher until smooth. Stir in the chopped herbs; the potatoes should be very green. Taste and add more salt if necessary. Cover the herbed mashed potatoes and keep warm over a very low flame.
- Make the cheese sauce: Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk, making sure you whisk away any flour lumps. Cook about 5 minutes, until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Turn down the heat and add the cheese. Continue to whisk until the cheese melts and the sauce is very smooth. Add the white wine and cook another 1 minute.
- Assemble the parfaits: In a clear tumbler or juice glass, put a layer of herbed mashed potatoes, a few spoonful’s of cheese sauce, another layer of mashed potatoes, and a final drizzle of cheese sauce. Top with the bacon and/or potato chips. Serve immediately.