German Potato Pancakes with Mashed Idaho® Potatoes, Caramelized Apples and Sage Infused Honey
- German Potato Pancakes
- 6 cups frozen shredded Idaho® potatoes, thawed
- 4 beaten eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 cup grated onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Oil for frying
- Mashed Idaho® Potatoes
- 3 cups of your favorite mashed Idaho® potato recipe
- 4 pieces bacon
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- Caramelized Apples
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 spicy-sweet, crisp apples (Jonagold or Honeycrisp), cored and sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Sage Infused Honey
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 to 1 cup of chopped sage
- Mesh bag for sage
German Potato Pancakes:
- Sauté grated onion in butter over medium heat until translucent. Remove from heat and cool.
- Thaw and drain shredded hashbrown potatoes. Mix flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Add to potatoes along with eggs and onion. If batter is too thin, add a little more flour.
- Drop by rounded #2 scoops into 1/4-inch deep hot fat in heavy skillet. Cook over medium heat until golden brown. Turn over and brown other side.
- Drain on paper towels and keep warm.
Mashed Idaho Potatoes:
- Combine all ingredients
- Reserve warm for topping German potato pancakes.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the apples to the pan and sprinkle with brown sugar. Saute the apples, stirring frequently, for 6-8 minutes.
- Sprinkle the apples with the nutmeg. Toss the mixture gently and cook over medium heat for an additional 2 minutes, until the sugar begins to caramelize and the apples are crisp-tender.
Sage Infused Honey:
- Using a double boiler add honey.
- Add the mesh bag of sage.
- Heat the mixture at 180* for 10-12 minutes. Remove the mesh bag then place the mixture in a jar.
- Top German potato pancake with 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of mashed potatoes and a few slices of caramelized apple. Drizzle with the sage infused honey. A chiffonade of sage may also be used as garnish.