From ‘Scratch’ Basic Funeral Potatoes
- One 2-pound bag frozen Idaho hash browns or diced potatoes, thawed* OR 2-1/4 lb Idaho Russet potatoes peeled, par-boiled and grated
- 3 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 ounces diced fresh mushrooms, about 1-1/2 cups (optional)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream or plain Greek-style yogurt
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 2-1/2 cups cornflakes, crushed to about 1-1/2 cups OR 3/4 cup panko crumbs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Place potatoes in a large mixing bowl or 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Melt butter in a wide skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until softened.
- Stir in mushrooms if desired; cook stirring occasionally until mushrooms are cooked.
- Stir in flour until moistened. Add broth, milk, salt and pepper. Stir constantly until mixture comes to a boil; stir 2 minutes until slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- Stir in yogurt and cheese. Combine with potatoes and choice of variation ingredients if desired. Spread evenly in baking dish.
- Sprinkle top with crumbs. Drizzle with butter. (Dish can be refrigerated up to 2 days before baking). Cover with foil and bake 45-60 minutes until starting to bubble at edges. Uncover and bake additional 10-15 minutes until golden brown.