New Orleans Style Topping
- Fry finely chopped okra in 2 tablespoons of oil and combine with chopped onions and bell peppers. Simmer for 5 minutes. Season with cayenne pepper, black pepper and garlic powder to taste.
- Sauté chopped onions, bell peppers and garlic. Add 3 cups ketchup and 1 lb. chopped andouille or smoked sausage and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about an hour.
- Make your own dipping Cajun mustard by combining 1/4 cup Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon mustard powder, 1 teaspoon grated horseradish and salt and pepper to taste.
Low-Fat Topping Tips
- Instead of sour cream, combine 3 parts low-fat cottage cheese and 1 part non-fat yogurt in a small food processor or blender; blend until smooth and season to taste with lemon juice.
- Make Pico de Gallo by mixing green salsa with sliced jalapenos.
- Combine finely chopped roasted red peppers with 1 teaspoon chopped garlic and 1 teaspoon olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slim sour cream by adding 2 parts low-fat plain yogurt to 1 part dairy sour cream.
Curry Dipping Sauce
- Blend all ingredients.
- /2 cup canned or fresh cooked tiny shrimp may be added.
- Broccoli and Feta Cheese Topping
- Boil broccoli for 1 minute, drain and let cool.
- Combine the broccoli and feta cheese and toss with Italian dressing.
- Top with sliced black olives.